I was in a perfect mood
to sleep with the clock just about to strike 3 (AM), when it just
struck me that this wonderful place, IIT Roorkee, where I spent the
best 3.5 years of my life, was mine only for a mere 5 more months. So
I started thinking of the life and time at IIT Roorkee; from the time
when life at Roorkee just started and where it is today. All the
awesome images that I have of my time spent here, still fresh and
clear, would remain in images only. Hence, I felt that there couldn't
have been a better time to pen down these thoughts so that these
memories remained there with me forever and start with my first ever
blog entry.
The story took ground on
May 30, 2008 when the JEE result was out. With a rank of 807, I was
quite determined to join IIT Roorkee with Electronics rather than
opting for Chemical or Production at IIT Delhi. On June 30, 2008 my
fate was decided with the Counselling result being out and I was
alloted Electronics and Communication Engineering (R14) at IIT
Roorkee. It was on July 31, 2008 that I stepped into this institute
unaware of the times, happiness, challenges and the memories it would
give me over the span of the next 4 years. It was the time when I saw
our main building with awe and pride.
With my first encounters
with mess food, having to get up every morning at 6AM by myself,
climbing the then humongous library slope, washing clothes and most
of all being away from Mumma didn't seem to excite me at all. To add
to it, the NCC parades at weekends made me curse that time when I had
stupidly enough filled up the NCC form instead of opting for NSS.
However, at the same time it was the beginning of new friendships,
being introduced to the two terms 'bakar' and 'chapo', meeting new
people, learning new stuff and living in a totally new environment.
Inspite of all this, my home sickness did force me to visit home
twice in August itself.
If you ask any of my
friend as to what I did in my first semester at IIT Roorkee, you are
bound to hear something of this sort: “Wakes up at 6 in the
morning, gets ready and attends all the classes, washes clothes
whenever he finds time in between classes, studies and sleeps by
11PM.” Though true to a great extent but not wholely! Facing 7
exams in 3 days, preparing the Anchoring script for our freshers, my
first birthday outside home, giving interviews for groups (and yeah
getting selected for Geek Gazette, the then IEEE Magazine!), losing
out kilos, being renamed as “Gargi” and finally the semester
ending with me scoring a perfect 10! Those 4 months just seemed to
have passed away.
My next semester saw me
getting selected to IMG (I hardly expected this). I still remember
seem to remember my interview quite well. How did I ever know that
IMG would be changing in many ways, my sleeping hours, feeling of
being a part of a group, nights out and much more. Also the launch of
the very first issue of my magazine, Geek Gazette, with my article on
“Evolution of Mobile Technology”, did add to my happiness.
Moreover, placement chapos by seniors, issue release chapos,
preparations for IMG farewell (I do remember Luv sir saying that we
were lucky enough to have 3 more years in this institute, but time
passes by too fast and probably I will be saying this line soon!) and
yes after much convincing, the permission to go rafting with my
friends. So, here my first year comes to an end.
My second year beginned
with a positive note of my branch change. On the basis of my academic
performance, I was alloted the branch Computer Science, so some more
new friends and a new stream for me. Also this year introduced me
with the idiosyncrasies of the E&C department. As we shifted to
our new hostel, Azad Bhawan (situated in the Shehar), there were
increased visits to IMG Lab and Nescafe. Visiting Alpahar for a
Samosa between empty slots, handling the tortures of Mr. B.Chi.Chi,
our lovely (actual word avoided!) BM-201 teacher, the first of
convocation chapos, working on launching iFest website, Cracken and
some parts of Cognizance website, the tortures of a 4 hour Digital
Hardware Lab, Dominos lighting up our hopes of a comfortable stay in
Roorkee, pleading the professor to not lodge a mass bunk on our
batch, IMG trip (I do regret missing the first trip because of the
NCC exam), staying up for whole two nights preparing scrapbooks for
IMG Farewell and finally another trip to Rishikesh marking the end of
my second year.
3rd year
started with mixed feelings and tensions regarding internship. With
me preparing my resume for the first time, trying to decide on my
future career path, increased responsibilities from both groups IMG
and GG being a 3rd year, struggling through interview
questions for internships marked the initial months of this year. The
rejections from Microsoft and Adobe did lower my morale, however, the
awesome way in which I was informed of my selection in IBM IRL
covered up for everything! However, CSE chapos every now and then were a welcome relief. Moreover, I started learning dealing with
the administration with continued visits to the Deans for IMG Work,
though many a times frustrating but still a great learning
experience. So finally I decided that I would pursue further studies
and hence not so confidently, but after a lot of motivation and
coaxing by Vinayak and Aditya I finally booked my GRE date. Hence,
came the only time when I learned GRE words, during lectures. This
did lead to Niyogi sir creating “the modulo n” theory and yeah
also the first B of my academic record. Nightouts for the launch of
Srishti website and Yaadein, completion of Film and Literature
reports, never before did I complete my work so close to the
deadlines !
Finally arrives the daddy
of all semesters: “4-1”. Placements and courses both at their
peaks. After returning to insti after internship, I can remember
spending the first few nights in IMG lab only, holding discussions in
the Inverter room as 4th yearites! Moreover, being the
President of Geek Gazette, I wanted to put in and every effort to
make it a success. With already such a high pressure and load, even a
small additional work seemed to be a behemoth task. I just kept
praying for September to be delayed as it marked the starting of
written tests fo Companies. However, written tests did start and we
had Direct-I coming in first followed by Adobe. So preparations for
placements aggravated and as time drew nearer so did my anxiety. The
semester passed by so quickly, I couldn't really keep a track of what
was going on. Then came November and also the written tests of all
big shots, Microsoft, Amazon, Facebook, Google and Oracle. Then
started the presentation season, we had to prepare a project or a
presentation for all our courses (why in 4-1 only?). Then came the
biggest shock of all, the BTP presentation, having not even finalized
the topic, I had to present what all I had done in it.
Finally started my end
semester exams with a feeling that the interviews are not too far.
Then arrived November 29, 2011 the first day of placements and
Facebook visiting the campus for recruitments. Although, I was not
much optimistic about my selection I did try and gave it my 100%. So
there was I getting ready with my suit and documents and left for the
placement cell. The interview process started at around 8 AM in the
morning and ended by around 5:15 PM in the evening. Crossing every
round came as a huge sigh of relief and at the same time brought with
it nervousness of what is going to happen next. After 3 rounds of
technical interviews and a final coding round we were informed that
the result would be out by 11PM. I along with Abhinav visited the
mandir in order to pacify the ongoing thoughts in our mind, followed
by dinner at Dominos aimed at the same. Finally, the result came at
1:15AM with me being selected for Facebook Inc, USA. For the first 10
minutes I just couldn't digest it. This was a time of utmost
happiness for me with my parents coming to Roorkee the next morning
just increasing my happiness. Followed by my friends getting placed,
it just made me happier!
On this awesome note, the
semester ended. After that completing the ANN project, I returned
home for a time full of enjoyment and laziness. But the story doesn't
end here, as per unofficial sources, I did manage to hit a perfect 10
this sem!
There is so much more I want to write about, the endless bakar in Divy's Room, Paul's dance, mine and Dua's addiction with Angry Birds, Bhatna's not so warming and friendly voice, friendly fights with Abhik, Guru ke lecture, Jhoolta hua Lalu, wakeup calls by Riju, Deeksha helping out with chocolates at the day of placements, disturbing people (specially Bachi) while getting bored in classrooms ( O--("Q) ), rushing to DBMS class and returning if our name has already passed in the attendance, making fool of M.Techs in all lab exams, our sasta Chief and Sita, but probably will have more blog entries talking about them.
There is so much more I want to write about, the endless bakar in Divy's Room, Paul's dance, mine and Dua's addiction with Angry Birds, Bhatna's not so warming and friendly voice, friendly fights with Abhik, Guru ke lecture, Jhoolta hua Lalu, wakeup calls by Riju, Deeksha helping out with chocolates at the day of placements, disturbing people (specially Bachi) while getting bored in classrooms ( O--("Q) ), rushing to DBMS class and returning if our name has already passed in the attendance, making fool of M.Techs in all lab exams, our sasta Chief and Sita, but probably will have more blog entries talking about them.
This institute has given
me so much that a single blog is not sufficient for me express my
time in Roorkee. Right from GG and IMG to IBM and Facebook, the unending dance in the chapos, bakar sessions, fights and much more which just cannot be expressed in words. Such a strong
bond has been developed between me and this institute, my batch-mates,
co-IMGians, juniors and everything related to Roorkee, that parting away from it will not be an easy task for me. So with this I close my first
blog, and with a hope that my last semester would be a memorable one,
full of enjoyment, happiness and laughter!
A entire summary of your life till now....very simple words. Nice in all.
ReplyDeleteBut you will continue to have such great experiences :)
and then write such blogs about it :D